The Senedd’s Local Government and Housing Committee is undertaking an inquiry into the private rented sector in Wales.
In March 2023, the Local Government and Housing Committee announced that they would be investigating the private rented sector (PRS) in Wales. This follows on from their earlier inquiries into Homelessness and The Right to Adequate Housing campaign.
The terms of reference for the inquiry are to look at:
- The supply, quality and affordability of accommodation in the private rented sector;
- The challenges currently facing private sector landlords;
- The opportunities for greater partnership working between social and private landlords;
- Barriers to accessing the private rented sector including challenges facing young people and people with pets;
- How effectively the private rented sector is regulated; and
- The availability of data on the private rented sector and how it can be improved.
As Wales’ largest homelessness charity, we at The Wallich shared our views with the committee, on the current opportunities and challenges facing the PRS, with particular reference to the role of the sector providing permanent homes for people who have experienced homelessness.